HELLO THERE FALL TIME!!! With the latest cold snack to hit..I already miss summertime, but I look forward to good soup recipes. This one was out of this world amazing. Inspired by a chili made by the Pelican Brother Food Truck here in Gainesville, FL. Here is it kiddos!!!
Black bean and Sweet Potato Chili
Ingredients: (makes about 6-8 servings)
1 each of large yellow onion, green, yellow and red bell pepper (diced)
12 cloves of garlic minced
1 tbsp. of olive oil
1- 28oz can of crushed san marzano tomatoes
1- 28oz can of Muir Glen Organic fire roasted diced tomatoes
4- 15oz cans of organic black beans
2 tbsp. of cumin
1-2 tbsp. of chili powder
1 tbsp. of cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. of garlic powder
1 cup of vegetable stock
sea salt/pepper to taste
3 large sweet potatoes diced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. of cumin
1 tbsp. of chili powder
1. Sauté peppers, onions, and garlic in oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add a little salt to draw the moisture out of the onions (that’s called “sweating” them…and we all know how I live to sweat!).
2. Add beans, tomatoes and seasonings into pot. Simmer for as long as you need. I like to simmer it all day so that the house smells like chili and I torture everyone that comes over.
3. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
4. Separately, toss the diced potatoes in the oil and extra seasonings. Spread on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 15-25 minutes. Cooked on outside but still a little raw in the middle.
5. Allow potatoes to cool completely. Then about 15 minutes before serve time…add potatoes into chili and stir gently.
6. Serve and love it!!!!