Thai Spiced Tomato Soup
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Thai Kitchen red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 (14-oz) cans reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar (you can skip this if you are sugar conscience)
- juice of 1/2 lime
- a handful of cilantro leaves
1. Cook onion in oil in a 4- to 5-qt heavy pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add curry paste and cumin and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
2. Add broth, tomatoes, water, brown sugar, and 1/4 tsp salt and simmer 15 minutes.
3. Puree soup in batches in a blender or using an immersion blender (be careful when blending hot liquids). Return soup to pot and reheat if necessary. Otherwise stir in lime juice and serve immediately. Sprinkle a few cilantro leaves and enjoy. Serves 4