BOOOHOOOO!!!! I have a winter cold!!! WOOHOOOO!!!! I get to make my favorite soup!!!
ROASTED TOMATO AND GARLIC SOUP
8 whole cloves of garlic peeled
1 medium onion, diced
2 lbs of cherry tomatoes or roma tomatoes
1 cup of V8 or tomato juice
2 cups of vegetable stock (or even better is mushroom stock)
Salt/Pepper to taste
2 tbsp. of olive oil
2 tbsp. of fresh Italian herbs (anything that looked good…oregano, basil, etc)
1. Roast garlic: Wrap all of the garlic cloves with 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a tin foil ball. Throw into a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Smell how great your kitchen smells 🙂
2. While garlic is good, saute onion in remaining olive oil until soft and clear over medium heat (5-8 minutes)
3. Add tomatoes, V8, stock into the pan and simmer for at least 30 minutes. (The tomatoes will start to burst open and will add fluid into your pot, so make sure the pot is big enough).
4. Once garlic is done, add all of the garlic and oil into the pot and simmer for at least 10 minutes more.
5. Working with small batches at a time (or with a handheld blender), puree the soup to make it one consistent thickness.
6. At the end, right before serving, add in fresh herbs and salt and pepper to taste!
You can thank me later for how your house smells 🙂