Today while running I caught a great breeze and it almost felt like fall. Early fall is time for pomegranates, and I’ll be honest. I pretty much only eat these once or twice a year because they are such a pain to eat! But I found a little gem hiding at Trader Joes….
Credit to Vegetarian Times
3 Tbs. Olive Oil, divided
1 cup barley
1.5 lbs of butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 small sweet onion, diced
1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes
2 Tbs. finely chopped parsley
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
1/3 cup roasted pistachios
1. Toast raw barley in 1 Tbs of oil for 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Then pour in 2 1/4 cup of water, and bring to summer. Cover, reduce head to low and cook 45-55 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. You can also follow the directions on the container of barley (there are instant brands out there).
2. Once barley is cooked, spread it all out onto sheet pan to cool. Add s/p.
3. Bake butternut squash in 1 Tbs of oil at 425 degrees for 35 to 40 minute.
4. In the last Tbs of oil, sauté onion until translucent. Add red pepper flakes and barley and cook for about 5 minutes or until warmed. Stir in parsley and squash carefully so that you don’t crush it. Cook 2 more minutes.
5. Remove from heat, stir in pomegranate and pistachios. Serve warm or room temp.