I recently had the priveledge to compete against some of the best of the best when it comes to vegan cooking! I Zen Fitness crew, including Vegan Iron Chef…Carly Asse! Competition was tough, but I did come in third with the following recipe…
Roasted Winter Vegetable Jambalaya
1 cup long-grain brown rice
2 large carrots, diced
2 medium parsnips, diced
1 small sweet potato, diced
1 red beet, diced
2 Yukon gold potatoes, diced
3 Tbsp EVOO, divided
¾ tsp sea salt, divided
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp sweet or smoked paprika
½ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp tomato paste
3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 cup chopped canned tomatoes
½ cup fresh parsley or 2 tsp dried parsley
- Soak rice in a bowl of water overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drain rice. Lightly oil baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Toss together carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, potatoes, 1 Tbsp oil and 1.2 tsp salt in a bowl. Spread on prepared baking sheet and roast for 20 to 30 minutes, until vegetables are browned.
- Combine onion, remaining 2 Tbsp oil, paprika, chili powder, cayenne and remaining salt in skillet; heat over medium-low heat. Cooke 5-8 minutes and until onion is soft; add rice and cook 2 minutes over medium heat or until liquid had evaporated. Stir in tomato paste, then broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then immediately remove from heat.
- Stir roasted vegetables into rice mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. Stir in parsley, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve hot or room temperature