Anyone that has been to a party in South Florida, has been privilege to try the latin dessert dish called Tres Leche (Three Milks). similar to the italian Tiramisu, Tres Leche is typically a rich buttery sponge cake that is soaked with a rich beverage.Tiramisu uses espresso, Tres Leches uses three milks (evaporated, condensed and whole milk). So the attempt to make this vegan and still keep the rich milky fatty consistency is a challenge. And if you know me…I don’t really like to turn away from a challenge (plus I had a craving for Tres Leches!). I tried to make this not only vegan but also as healthy and possible! This BY FAR IS MY MOST SUCCESSFUL RECIPE CREATION!!!!!
VEGAN TRES LECHES
1 can of full fat coconut milk (keep it in the fridge…you need it cold for later on in the recipe)
1.5 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup of raw sugar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of almond milk (vanilla sweetened)
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
1.25 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3/4 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
1.5 teaspoon of agave
Making the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray 8 x 8 baking dish with spray oil.
2. Mix all whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Create a well in the bowl and add the almond milk, veggie oil, vanilla extract and vinegar. Mix ingredients together but don’t over mix. Pour into oiled dish and bake for 30 minutes.
3. Allow cake to cool for 1 hour and then stab it a lot! Technically you are making holes for the milk to soak into, but it’s much more fun to just say STAB IT!
4.Gently remove can of coconut milk from the fridge. Open it and scoop off the creamy fatty part of the coconut milk. This is normally the semi-solid part on the top of the can. Separate this part out and put it into a large metal bowl (one that you can whip into later on). Put this section back in the fridge to be whipped up as the last part.
5. Next you will make the milk part that you will pour over the stabbed cake. Take 1 cup of the watery coconut milk (the stuff left in the can) and 1/2 cup of vanilla soy milk and the 1.5 teaspoons of agave nectar. Mix together and then pour over cake.
6. Check it out…the cake will look weird…..
7. Let cake sit in fridge for about an hour to absorb the milk.
8. Meanwhile take the coconut fat from the fridge. Whip it with a whisk to your desired consistency and pour over the top of the cake once most of the milk as been absorbed.
9. I couldn’t help myself and ate part of this cake before letting it sit. But it’s best to let sit over night.