I won! I finally won!!! Hehe after tons of competing with Carly for Vegan Iron Chef Status and only winning once. this was a big win for me. This recipe won the Zen Fitness Holiday Party Vegan Dish competition. I got the inspiration from vegetarian Times Magazine, but of course has to make it a little better for our oh-so-sophisticated palates. hehehehe!!!
Drum roll please……..
VEGAN CHOCOLATE CASHEW BRITTLE
- 2 cups raw granulated sugar (I prefer unrefined can sugar)
- 1 cup agave syrup
- 3 cups raw cashew pieces
- 2 tbls coconut oil
- 2 tbls baking soda
- 1 tbls vanilla extract
- 12 ounces dark dairy-free chocolate
1. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Grease the parchment with coconut oil. Set aside.
2. Place the sugar and agave syrup in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring well to combine. Microwave on high for 3 minutes, remove the bowl and stir vigorously, then return the bowl to the microwave and microwave for 2 minutes longer. Remove the bowl and add the cashews and coconut oil stirring well to combine. Return the bowl to the microwave and microwave on high for 30-45 seconds, or until the mixture is a deep golden amber in color. Remove the bowl carefully (mixture will be VERY hot) from the microwave, and quickly stir in the baking soda and vanilla, until the mixture is well combined and bubbles and foams. (Hello arm workout!!!) Pour the mixture onto the prepared sheet and allow the brittle to cool completely for about 30 minutes or until set. Break the brittle into pieces of desired size.
3. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, a stainless steel bowl set over a pan of boiling water, or the microwave. Using a fork, drizzle and sling that chocolate all over your brittle. Allow the chocolate to set completely before serving, about 1-2 hours (this can be expedited by placing the candies in the refrigerator if necessary). Serve at room temperature.