This was a word that Carly and I have come up with to describe some of the favorite recipes that are simple and Zen approved (haha!). They are all five ingredients or less and are good “go to” s grubbing. Check it out!
Energy Date Balls
Pint of pitted dates
Handful of nuts (almonds, pecans, cashews, whatever!)
Carob Powder (this is a like a cocoa powder)
- Put dates, nuts and carob powder into the blender (I used the Ninja), grind up until coarse but sticky enough that you can roll a small amount of the mixture into a ball.
- Roll the balls in the coconut and enjoy
- These freeze well and hold in zip lock baggies.
Vegan Cheesy Popcorn
Raw popcorn kernels (not the stuff in the bag!)
Garlic Salt (or regular….up to you!)
Nutritional Yeast (yep, this ingredient is new and unique to most of you. Find it in the bulk bins of a natural food store…it’s yellow and flaky and tastes like cheese!)
- Pop the popcorn in the coconut oil
- Once done popping, toss in a little bit of olive oil, salt, and nutritional yeast
- Toss the okra in a little bit of olive oil and garlic salt. Spread out on sheetpan. Back at 350 for 30 minutes
Bag of frozen yucca
Garlic salt (do you see my trend with garlic salt….haha I like it on everything!)
Red pepper flake (my fav for spicing things up….this is completely optional)
- Boil the frozen yucca for about 15 minutes or until the pieces are able to be easily cut through
- But the yucca length wise into “fries”
- Spread out on backing sheet and drizzle with olive oil, make sure that the pieces are not touching themselves so that they don’t stick
- Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. You can bake them shorter or longer based on your desired “doneness” that you like.
- When they are done, drizzle a little more olive oil on them and then sprinkle garlic salt and red pepper flake if you would like. Nutritional yeast is good too!!
Mix any fresh juice with club soda (or fizzy water!…I prefer san pelligrino). I even drink this in fancy stemware when I’m at my house to make myself feel like I’m knocking back some vino (which used to be one of my fav hobbies!).
Carly makes these for his family every week after his family dinner. I’m not one to normally like sweet things, but if this is made with a tart berry, I like it better. You can choose anything of your liking.
Frozen Berries/fruits (buy the bag from Publix or Sams….heck even target has it….and if you are making this for me, I like peaches or raspberries)
Almond milk (any variety you like, again if you are making this for me I like the unsweetened)
Handful of nuts (macadamia are nice here…especially if you have extra money to spend!)
- Put everything in your blender (again, I love the Ninja) and blend it up!
1 diced tomato
1 diced Jalapeno
1 handful of diced Cilantro
2 tablespoons of diced Onion
1 tablespoon Lime juice and salt
- I use my Ninja blender for this but it can definitely be done by hand. Blend all ingredients together and then eat!
- You can eat with organic whole grain chips, or just with a spoon.
More to come…..